WEB105 > Defining the Project 1
Defining the project is a step that most young web designers don’t realize they need to do. If you do not clearly define your project, you are doomed to fail.
Discovery is the sub-phase where you begin to understanding the client, the project and needs of the users. Some of the topics that you will cover are:
- What are the client’s wishes and goals?
- How much time is the project going to take, what is it going to cost and how is it all going to be broken down?
- Who are the team members and their responsibilities?
- What are the client responsibilities?
- What are the long-range goals for the website? What are the short-term goals?
The answers to these questions will serve as a reference for nearly every step that follows.
Each website project should be viewed through a lens of “what can the site do to help the Client achieve their goals.”
Some of the Client’s goals may include:
- increase in-store/on-line customer traffic
- increase sales
- highlight a new product
- decrease calls to customer service
- streamline browsing and purchasing
- create a dynamic content driven site
- create a scalable structure for future growth
The Client Survey
The Client Survey will help you articulate and identify the overall goals of your website (re)design. Once filled out it will be your key reference point for information regarding building your website:
- Clients are notorious for not having clear site objectives—here’s you chance to help steer them in the right direction
- The survey can and should be customized to be industry and/or client specific
- The survey can also be used as a client screening tool
The Client Survey Clarifies:
- Site goals – what are the overall goals of the site redesign
- Audience – what are your audience demographics and user profiles
- RE-Design issues – old vs. new
- Tone – what is the desired overall tone being communicated
- Scope – what are the project boundaries
- Maintenance – what is the client’s vision for future site updates
- Contacts – who is involved and how in this project