WEB170 » 09) Creating a Custom Posts Feed with Featured Images for Your Site
Many WordPress sites typically use the front page of their site as their blog feed page. But, what if you don’t want your front page to house the blog feed. What if you want to have a Static Home Page for your WordPress site? Where do you put your blog feed?
Fortunately for you, you can assign your blog feed to occupy a standard page that you set up in your site.
- You are going to need to set your blog feed to occupy a page in your site by going to Settings > Reading. Doing so will set your blog page to use the index.php file.
- Take The Content function out of The Loop within the index.php file and replace it with The Excerpt or Get the Excerpt function. Make sure that you place content in your Excerpt field.
- Create a byline and add the The Time, The Author and The Category to it.
- Add theme support for Post Thumbnails in your functions.php file.
- Upload a Featured Image to your Media Library.
- Place the Post Thumbnail function within The Loop in your index.php file.
- Go ahead and style your post thumbnail.
- Add an article tag around your feed objects and then style it to prevent the great collapse from happening.
- Add a permalink to your post thumbnail and create a read more link using The Permalink function.
- Add the byline to your single.php template.
- I will check your Protosite’s “View” and “Code” links from your Client Staging Area according to the class Schedule (Spring) to review and grade.